Prevent Frozen Pipes This Winter
Top Tips for Preventing Frozen Pipes in the Winter:
Outdoor Preventative Measures
- A garden hose can cause more damage than a busted hose, it can actually burst your interior pipe. When the water in the hose freezes, it expands causing pressure to build throughout the plumbing system.
- Close the interior shut-off valve leading to the faucet and drain the outdoor spigot.
Exposed Interior Plumbing
- Plumbing pipes in an unheated area are at risk of freezing. Wrap your pipes with a water-resistant insulation material. This helps ensure all openings are well-sealed and minimizes the amount of pipe exposed to the cold temperatures.
Other Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Set your thermostat down low, but not so low that the pipes could freeze. The ideal temperature would be no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Change your heating oil filter to prevent unnecessary clogging and boost performance even more.