Family Activities To Do During Holidays
Now that the temperatures have dropped, spending time outside is not as fun. But that’s okay! There are plenty of things to do indoors to keep the whole family entertained and in the holiday spirit.
- Decorate: If you’re looking for something to do with the family, have some fun with decorating the house for the holidays! Sure, decorating sounds like a chore, but there are ways around that. For starters, throw on some holiday music and have the kids create their own decorations. Or, have a friendly competition–whoever has the best decoration-display at the end of the night wins!
- Make cookies:Time to get in the kitchen and make some holiday cookies! This is a great way to bond with your family and learn a little, too. Sugar cookies are best for this fun, family project because you and the kids can decorate them afterwards! Click here for a recipe to get you going.
- Movie Night: One of the best ways to jump into the seasonal spirit is to watch movies. Pop some popcorn (or grab some of the delicious cookies you made), gather everyone in front of the television, and turn on your favorite holiday film!
New England weather is nothing if not unpredictable. Who knows if there will be snow on the ground this holiday season or if it will be 60 degrees and sunny! If you live in and around Western Massachusetts, New England weather shouldn’t keep you from spending some quality, holiday fun with the fam.
- Yankee Candle: Ever been to Deerfield, MA? Depending on where you live, it can be a bit of a hike, but Yankee Candle during the holiday season is worth the trip! Check out the Yankee Candle website for upcoming events or stroll in for a bit of shopping any day. Yankee Candle is filled with tons of great activities for kids and adults, including Santa’s Workshop and the Make Your Own Candle Bar!
- Bright Nights: Springfield, MA is home to Bright Nights, a spectacular holiday light experience located in Forest Park. Tours begin just after Thanksgiving and run until Christmas Day! Drive the kids through this dazzling park at night and view all the wonderful displays. From Dr. Suess characters to dinosaurs to the North Pole, Bright Nights offers something for everyone!
- Holiday Lights Around Town: Not looking to spend money? That’s okay! It’s always fun to drive around town and see what you and the family can find. One thing’s for sure–if you can, drive to Somers Rd. in East Longmeadow, MA to witness a spectacular light display put on by two very dedicated neighbors. You can’t miss it and it’s definitely the talk of the town!